11.11.2009

God Blessed Texas...

God blessed Texas. I have now lived in Texas for 10 months. I now love it and can't imagine living anywhere else. Texans have a certain way about them. They are confident people whom don't really care what the rest of the world thinks. They are who they are, and they are proud of it. They dont need to tell you this in so many words to just know. You know.

I recently learned Texas has every right to secede from the US. They voluntarily joined, and they can unjoin themselves if they so desire. And they know this and love this. And I guess, now that I live here, I too love it! I'm growing a heart for Texas. I love their attitude, their weather, and its just so BIG! So how long must one live in Texas before they can consider themselves Texan? I'm afraid they will always call me a "damn Yankee." But I am working on changing that.

What is the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee you ask. Well, I was informed a Yankee visits...a damn Yankee stays. Hmmmm. So working on my Texan drawl to at least convince them is what I will do. If you're from Texas, you better believe I am listening to every word you say and how you say it.

This is what I have learned so far:

You do not say "you guys" it is "y'all" I have this one down pretty much.

You do not say "I'm going..." you say...yes I love this one..."I'm fixin to go"

"Ain't" usually replaces "Isn't"

"Who would have thought?" becomes "Who'da thought?"

and "Probably" becomes "Prolly"

Basically talk hill billy :)

And HEAVEN FORBID you ever say Pop! When at a restaurant you dont not ask what kind of pop they have. They will look at you with a blank stare of complete confusion. They dont even know the term! You may say a variation of this: Soda, Coke, or the exact beverage name.

Here was my mistake when first ordering at Wendy's:
Me: I would like a medium pop.
Order taker: Ugh......
Me: Oh, sorry I mean...soda? A Coke? I want a Root Beer Coke?
Order Taker: So you want a root beer or coke?

AGH! I still dont have this one....

While we are talking about Texans...they call this great state the Lone Star State. Do they like stars you ask? YES! How dare you live in Texas and not have a star! Almost every overpass (well the newer ones) in Houston has a star on every pillar. And have you ever noticed their sports teams? This just makes me just laugh. If your a team playing for TX you will probably have some sort of star on your logo.


Hows that for educational? Probably not very - but what can I say...my life is boring right now! And this is all I have to talk about :)

But I assure you...this weekend is gonna be packed with great photos!

Y'all have a great day! I'm fixin to go head out for a bit!

1 comment:

Nena said...

OMG the POP thing... I was at Jimmy Johns and I said "Can I have a pop" And the guy looks at me and the other kid comes up and was like "did you just say pop?" LOL YES! Like I was speaking french or something :)

Us crazy Michigan Girls! :)